Friday, March 27, 2009

Twitter at EclipseCon


Well, EclipseCon is finally over. First, I'd like to thank everyone for the great job they did. I was told they put extra effort into making interesting sessions, and it showed.

Good 'ol Ian Skerrett, my favorite marketing guy, arranged for attendees to use their Twitter accounts to talk about the conference by including the #eclipsecon tag in their tweets.

I spent a couple of hours this evening calculating the number of times a user used the #eclipsecon tag. (Thanks to the Twitter Search API and Perl.) You can view the full per-person counts here, or read below for the top 20, along with a full distribution of tweets per person:

User#eclipsecon tweets
oisin148
eclipsecon146
IanSkerrett93
lorifraleigh78
njbartlett61
douggaff49
alblue49
peterfriese48
motodev47
darinrs46
michael_scharf41
waynebeaton40
irbull39
rfarrjr37
jplmichael36
jeffreynorris34
BryanHunt34
ericcloninger33
vineetsinha32



I was just below this list at #21, with 31 tweets. (Actually, just 30, but I'm going to tweet about this too, so I fudged.)

See ya next year.

Update: I should have commented on the word cloud. I find it super interesting. I only removed four or five phrases (the ones that come to mind are eclipsecon, http, tinyurl and com) and if you look past some of the common English words (demo, day, thanks, rt -- should have removed 'rt') there are those technologies and phrases that seemed to get the most traction: rcp, e4, amazon, p2, cocoa, glassfish, equinox, and my favorite: @ianskerrett.

3 comments:

bost said...

pretty neat= and believe it or not, my mom and I were talking about "twittering" tonight :)

Eric Cloninger said...

Hey, great chart. I guess I should've been just slightly more prolific with my #eclipsecon posts, but my Facebook friends were sending me hate mail for filling their inboxes with bizarre messages. Now, to go rule the world with Eclipse and Android...

Ian Skerrett said...

Rob,

This is really great stuff. Thank you so much for doing it.